Responding to Stationary Emergency Vehicles on the Road

emergency vehicle The Move Over law was enacted across Canadian provinces in order to better protect emergency workers after they pull over on the shoulder of a road in response to a traffic collision or related emergency. Once emergency vehicles are stationary and the workers are outside their vehicles (this includes police, fire fighters, EMTs, paramedics, and tow truck drivers in Alberta), they are dangerously exposed to the traffic still driving by the scene. Continue reading

What You Need to Know About Distracted Driving Penalty Changes – P2

What You Need to Know About Distracted Driving Penalty Changes - P2

If you read Part 1 of our blog series about changing traffic laws in Ontario, you’re probably wondering how significant these changes are going to be! This post will cover all the main alterations in Ontario’s driving laws, which include steeper fines and more demerit points for committing driving offenes, and new additions to the law regarding pedestrians and cyclists. The changes listed below are going to be implemented over the next few months, so you may as well keep them in mind starting now!

For Distracted Driving: Continue reading

New Distracted Driving Legislation in Ontario Part 1

City Hall of Toronto at Nathan Phillips square, Ontario, Canada

New Driving Laws in Ontario

Driving laws are changing in Ontario! X-Copper will be covering the topic of recent changes to Ontario Driving Legislation over a four-part blog series. We will take a look at what rules are changing, what fines are increasing, and why these changes are being implemented. We will also provide some useful tips for being safer on the road so you can work on avoiding these fines to begin with. Continue reading

Lights, Camera, Ticket?!

There are few things more demoralizing than getting pulled over while driving. One of those things is receiving a notice of a traffic violation in the mail. It looks like your vehicle was snapped with the use of a photo radar camera.

What is a Photo Radar Camera?

You may have heard this device being referred to as a traffic enforcement camera or a red light camera. It is simply a device that is placed next to or above a traffic light or within an enforcement vehicle. The camera takes a picture when violations such as speeding, not stopping at a red light, or improperly using a bus lane are recorded. The camera may then be linked to an automated system that sends a ticket to the owner of the vehicle.

How Does a Photo Radar Ticket Differ From a Regular Ticket?

Tickets mailed out do not carry demerit points as they are sent to the vehicle owner and not to the driver who committed the offence. Therefore, pleading guilty and paying the fine will not earn you any demerit points but an experienced X-Copper representative can help fight the ticket to reduce your costs.

Which Provinces Utilize the Photo Radar System?

Photo radar cameras are in operation in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, and mostly in Alberta. Ontario discontinued the use of photo radar cameras for speeding but red light cameras are still in operation. According to the Canadian Safety Council, the implementation of the cameras is not necessarily to catch and fine offenders, but rather to act as a kind of ‘Big Brother’, watching drivers and preventing from breaking the law in the first place.

QandA – Stunt Driving

“I got pulled over for stunting, but I was only speeding! Will the courts understand?”

QandANo. The charge of stunt driving / racing does not necessarily mean that you were racing another vehicle, or performing a stunt. This offence includes a number of different actions, one of which is speeding at a rate of at least 50km over the speed limit. If you are caught travelling in excess of 50km/h or more over the limit you may be guilty of stunt driving. Call us for a free consultation.

QandA – Traffic Tickets

“I received a traffic ticket and I want to fight it. What should I do?”

When you file the ticket with the court, ask for a trial (option 3) as opposed to “first attendance” with the prosecutor (option 2). You should always request a trial date. There is no chance that the ticket will be withdrawn at a “first attendance”. Opportunities for the charge to be withdrawn may however become available to you on a trial date.

QandA – Suspended License Q1

“How many demerit points can I accumulate on my driver’s licence before it is suspended?”

QandADemerit points remain on your record for 2 years. If you have a G class driver’s licence you may be forced to attend an interview with the MTO if you accumulate 9 demerit points. At 15 demerit points your licence will be suspended for a minimum of 30 days and you may be required to complete a driver re-examination. G1 or G2 class (novice) drivers face an MTO interview if they accumulate 6 demerit points. A G1 or G2 licence will be suspended for a minimum of 60 days if 9 demerit points are accumulated. Fight your traffic tickets to avoid demerit points.

QandA – Suspended License Q2

“Can my license be suspended before I even go to court”

QandAYes. Anyone that either blows over the legal limit of .08 or refuses to give a breath sample is subject to an automatic 90 day suspension of their drivers licence. If convicted in court, you will receive an additional drivers licence suspension along with a criminal record and a substantial fine. You should consult a professional before going to court.

QandA – Demerit Points

“How many demerit points can I get for speeding?”

QandAIt depends on how fast you were allegedly travelling at.

0-15 km/h over the limit = 0 demerit points. 16 – 29 km/h over the limit = 3 demerit points. 30 – 49 km/h over the limit = 4 demerit points. + 50 km/h or more over the speed limit = Stunt driving and 6 demerit points.

Call X-Copper for a free consultation if you have been accused of speeding.

QandA – DUI Criminal Charge

“Does a criminal conviction remain on my record for the rest of my life?”

QandAUnless you request a Pardon, the criminal conviction will stay on your record. You can request a Pardon for most criminal convictions after three years if you meet the requirements. When requesting a Pardon, you should also request a “U.S. Entry Waiver” to ensure your eligibility to travel to the United States. Call X-Copper for help with a  Pardon and/or a “U.S. Entry Waiver”.