Step 1 - Contact Information
Please provide us with some contact information so that we can provide you with a free consultation and quote.
Provincial Offences Act Appeals
Have you been wrongfully convicted? Were you unprepared or unrepresented at trial? Unhappy with the sentence imposed by the court?
You may be able to challenge the conviction or sentence by filing an appeal with the Ontario Court of Justice. Call X-Copper for a free consultation to discuss your case specifically and the possibility of appealing your conviction or sentence. Any conviction under the POA may affect your insurance for three years.
- A Notice of appeal and any applicable supporting documentation is to be filed with the criminal court in the jurisdiction where you were convicted, within 30 days of the conviction date.
- The outstanding fine attached to the conviction must be paid, and proof of such must be attached to the appeal documents when they are filed with the court.
- If a trial was held the transcripts must also be ordered and proof of such attached to the appeal.
- Depending on the case, a written argument of the flaws that were made during the trial and supporting case law may need to be prepared in advance and filed with the appeals court prior to the appeal being heard.
Possible outcomes of an appeal:
Depending on the argument, in challenging the conviction or sentence, if successful, there are a number of remedies that the court may order.
- Amend the conviction to a lesser offence/penalty.
- Lower/change the sentence imposed as a result of the conviction (i.e. fine, jail term).
- Order a new trial.
- The best case scenario is to have the conviction quashed. This means that the person is cleared of the conviction.
X-Copper is committed to providing effective legal representation you can afford.
Call our Appeals Division now for your free consultation at 1-888-XCOPPER (1-888-926-7737) or click here for a free online quote.
Thank you very much. It was a pleasure doing business with you. I will definitely recommend to others wherever possible. "
Usman - Ottawa , Ontario