If you’re involved in an accident or are a witness at the scene, you are required to remain at or return immediately to the scene. You are also required to provide any person(s) involved with the following information:
- Name and address
- Driver’s Licence number and jurisdiction
- The vehicle’s insurer and policy number
- The name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle
- Permit number
If you refuse to provide this information, you could also be found guilty of failing to remain.
This charge is considered to be extremely serious, and the penalties reflect that:
- A fine of between $400-$2000
- 7 demerit points
- Possible suspension of your driver’s licence for up to two years
- Possible jail time of up to six months
A failing to remain conviction will stay on your driver’s abstract for three years. If you are able to find a company to insure you again, your premiums could be thousands of dollars more per year.